Modern foreign languages
At Middlewich Primary School, children in years 3-6 learn French.
The national curriculum for languages aims to ensure that all pupils:
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
Read the quotes below to see what our pupils enjoy about French lessons at Middlewich Primary School.
- “I’ve enjoyed learning a new language. It was intersting to find out what animals are called in French.” (year 3 pupil)
- "I have enjoyed French with Mrs Miller because it fun learning a different language ." (year 4 pupil)
- "French is good because there are some English words that are spelt the same as French." (year 5 pupil)
- "I like learning a different language because if I ever go to France I would be able to speak to French people. " (year 6 pupil)